Where should I go for delicious cupcakes in Paris?
After lots of talk and no action, I finally decided to make cupcakes this weekend. It was more of a science experiment than a proper baking exercise. In New York, I once tasted chocolate cupcakes with chocolate chip cookie dough centers, and I wanted to attempt to replicate this miracle.
The result: my friends gave them the thumbs up for taste (perhaps they were just being nice?) but they did not exactly hold their shape. In fact, they were best eaten with the spoon. The photos make my cupcakes look more solid than they really were.
If you want to try this at home, my advice is to freeze small balls (slightly smaller than a ping pong ball) of cookie dough for a couple of hours first. Fill your cupcake molds only about 2/3 full of batter then drop the frozen cookie dough balls into the center of the cupcake batter before baking as you normally would. For ingredients, see my post on American Groceries in Paris or visit the new Cake & Bake Accessories (5 Rue de Lancry, 75010 Paris, firstname.lastname@example.org), run by a fabulous young entrepreneur, for all your American/English baking needs.
If, however, you are not as keen on experimentation, there are at last several places in Paris where you can find delicious cupcakes. Here are my personally-tested suggestions:
- Sugarplum Cake Shop (68 rue du Cardinal Lemoine, 75005 Paris, Tel. 01 46 34 07 43, email@example.com). Cakes is their specialty (their wedding cakes are truly works of art), but there are usually some cupcakes on offer as well. Leave some time to enjoy this cozy coffee shop when you visit.
- Order cupcakes or whatever your American baked goods you are craving from Alisa of Sweet Pea Baking & Catering. At Cake & Bake‘s grand opening last month, I tried some of Alisa’s blue velvet cupcakes and chocolate cupcakes with fennel butter cream frosting and they were quite amazing.
- Synie’s Cupcakes (23 Rue de l’Abbé Grégoire, 75006 Paris, Tel. 01 45 44 54 23) This small and inviting shop is Synie’s laboratory, where she experiments with sweet and salty creations. We had Synie’s cupcakes at my birthday one year and they were a definite crowd pleaser.
- Order Sugar Daze cupcakes for delivery or pick-up in the 17th arrondissement. Take a look at the cupcakes names on the menu and I guarantee you won’t be able to resist!
- Lola’s Cookies takes custom orders for cookies, brownies and bars if cupcakes is not enough. I sampled the Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk cookies almost a month ago and I am still dreaming about them. Lindsey of Lola’s Cookies is also the author of the Lost In Cheeseland blog on “food, love, life & struggles in Paris”.
Have you tried any of these cupcake spots or do you have another favorite cupcake supplier in Paris? I want to hear your thoughts!